Investing in real estate can be simple as long as you understand the basic factors of the investment including risk. There are four ways real estate investors can make money, according to thebalance.com, discussed in more detail below.
- Real Estate Appreciation - This is when the property increases in value due to a change in the real estate market, the land around your property becoming scarcer or busier like when a major shopping center is built next door or upgrades you put into your real estate investment to make it more attractive to potential buyers or renters. Real estate appreciation is a tricky game. In fact, it is riskier than investing for cash flow income.
- Cash Flow Income - This type of real estate investment focuses on buying a real estate property, such as an apartment building, and operating it, so you collect a stream of cash from rent, which is the money a tenant pays you to use your property for a specific amount of time. Cash flow income can be generated from well-run storage units, car washes, apartment buildings, office buildings, rental houses, and more.
- Real Estate Related Income - This is income generated by "specialists" in the real estate industry such as real estate brokers, who make money through commissions from buying and selling property, or real estate management companies who get to keep a percentage of rents in exchange for running the day-to-day operations of a property. This type of real estate related income is easy to understand. For example, a hotel management company gets to keep 5 percent of a hotel's sales for taking care of the day-to-day operations such as hiring maids, running the front desk, mowing the lawn, and washing the towels.
- Ancillary Real Estate Investment Income - For some real estate investments, this can be a huge source of profit. Ancillary real estate investment income includes things like vending machines in office buildings or laundry facilities in low-rent apartments. In effect, they serve as mini-businesses within a bigger real estate investment, letting you make money from a semi-captive collection of customers.
There are many profitable investment opportunities available in the GTA market today, including pre-construction condos. Maya can help you get platinum access to key pre-construction projects in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan and Oakville.
Investing in real estate is profitable, however, there are few considerations you should be aware of:
- Carefully consider the math. Real estate investing comes down to numbers such as condo fees, taxes, maintenance cost etc. Maya can help you with the numbers to ensure your investment is truly profitable for you and your family.
- Plan for a 20% down payment and 30 year amortization on your mortgage.
- Carefully consider the taxes on your investment property, including land transfer taxes, income tax and capital gains taxes.
- Be aware that government programs such as First Time Home Buyer or Land Transfer Tax Rebate only apply to primary residences not investment properties.
Real Estate Websites by Web4Realty